Friday, June 17, 2005

A new blog... hopefully more user friendly... to ME

Ah.... finally done with my UM-NUS archi prog. I've cut cleaned and refurbish shophouses in Malacca. Removed the organs, leaving only the vital ones. Dressed them up nicely, put it back on the shelf for sale. Hah.. I wish. Well, Josephone from the Cheng Hoon Teng Temple did remark that she hoped she could use our idea for the renovation of 104 Jonker St. Whether it will be realised or not, I wouldn't know. All I know now is that I'm feeding the free-loading mosquitoes typing this blog.

I must say it has been an interesting and eye-opening one month. Walking up and down Jonker St. to study the urban patterns... just like doing Urban Design all over... glad that we studied Lynch. His 5 elements and funny concepts were handy in analysing the urban forms of Old Malacca. All of us looked like pot-roast after a few days of basking in the sun studying traffic and jotting data on shophouses in the area. Josephine was kind enough to give us a tour of the place... looking for swallow nests and Zheng He temples. Widodo gave his historical walking tour as usual... really enjoyed his gibberish... really i did. Tooks tonnes of photos, documenting every inch of the shophouse that we did the measured drawings on. Fortunately, ours had little ornamentation or we'd have died trying to document them all.

Malacca food has its flavour and was affordable. I was appalled by the way Rudy bought his antiques. I must say his mum made him really good pants with deep long pockets. Sort of like Mary Poppins' bag. Maybe if he digs hard enough, he'll pull out a hat stand one day instead of notes and coins. Some (fine, one) of the guys were really mummy's boy.Whine whine whine... should have left him on the highway. Hah. See if he has the energy to complain complain all the way home.

KL changed everybody's mood (as usual. ppl who go to kl come back changed) Anyway, I guess the Singaporeans were glad for the shopping malls and 'cheep cheep' sale. I think they have hideen bottomless pockets too. So fortunate. *Note:I must get one of those.

2 weeks in KL designing and drawing. Pwhooah. Hard to concentrate. Their studio's a bit uncomfortable I must say. Printing A1 colour panel is like RM30 with super lousy paper while in Sg, it's $10 with lamination. I thank God for Poster Connection.

Overall verdict? I give it a 7/10 rating lah. Bukan teruk sangat. Ada baik ada buruk. Tengoklah situasi. Kadang kala susah juga. Macam design for one sem crammed into one month complete with the urban analysis and the measured drawings. What a feat man. Of course... consequence of it was I fell sick sick sick! Sigh. I remember going out for shopping more than staying in studio overnight. Haha.

Gonna post some pics. My xanga is not cooperative when it comes to posting pics. Grrr..

1 comment:

Unknown said...

a much belated welcome to blogspot. keke.

from xanga previously eh

ur pix are nice. hope to see more ;)

o/t: my comments seem cut & haiku-ish eh?