Everywhere I go, I somehow will manage to establish a new relationship with a different group/kind of people. In archi, it's the Malay cleaning lady who loves speaking to me in Malay and she tells me the funniest things that happen around the school, from the viewpoint of a cleaner that is. Well, she asks me about whether the studio needs cleaning or if things need to be left behind as well. I think people find it strange that I seem to be the only one talking to the cleaner in studio.
In hall, it's the security guard, of whom I converse in Malay with as well. Somehow, he became the friendly face that greets me every night when I return late to hall. He knows my hours soon enough but it all started with the misconception that I have a part time job at night. 0_o" From friendly chatters to volleyball nights to holiday emptiness, he's always there most of the nights, telling me oh horror stories and his family.
Here, in the village, it is the friendly 7.36am bus driver who drives the 5.36pm return bus as well. He values his passengers I must say. I was in Brussels for a week, hence missing the bus for that week. The week when I returned, he asked me, ' Where have you been, love? We've all missed ya'. Aww... I was so touched. He's so going to get a present from me. Mind you, he has the kind 70-ish look on him. Yesterday, he pointed out the christmas light up at the bar. 'Makes the place brighter don't ya think?' 'Yeah, pretty much. Been kinda dark around here lately' He looks at me and smiles ' Happy, love' . When I get up the bus, he usually gives me a thumbs up sign, not bothering to check my regular £13.50 weekly ticket. The rest of the drivers are just grumpy or indifferent. Quality service I tell you! Too bad I won't be here long enough to talk to him about more things.
The lesson? People in the service sector ( to put it nicely) are humble and down-to-earth. Talk to them and you'll be amazed at how much you learn from them as well. It's all about sharing after all isn't it?
K, too much of open source and copy left. I'm getting bombed by city mined and all the other organizations.
Saturday, December 02, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment