Saturday, July 09, 2005

The Much Needed Break

1 1/2 weeks in Melaka. 2 1/2 weeks in University Malaya. 1 week in PJ. 1 week in Penang. 3 days in Langkawi. 4 days back in Penang. 1 week in KL.

Total= 2 months
Profit= The much needed break
Loss= Zilch
Net gain= The best holiday ever-time spent at home!

Since I entered uni, I've always been on the run. Semester time would be filled with projects. Come December, it'll be IHG trainings and home for Christmas for a week. 2nd semester would be a busie period with more projects and IHG to juggle. Come May, it was Rag and I was home for 10 days only.

Actually, history nearly repeated itself this time round. I wanted to rush back to Singapore after my one month with the UM students, but then I realized that I've always let my family down when it comes to going home for the holidays. I've pondered over it and relented to staying at home for a while longer. Besides, my sister who's staying in Singapore has agreed to come home so I have to be in KL to accompany her in July.

Sometimes, I wonder if it's really worthwhile doing much more for others than for one's own family. There were times when I took my family for granted. We've all said hurtful things to each other. We've done things that does not please a family member. Staying at home this time round has made me realize that everyone is growing older. My grandpa has turned childlike in his actions but his mind is as sharp as a 30 year old. He's 85 years old and if I don't spend more time with him now, I fear I may regret later. I'm just thankful for the evenings spent with him everyday last week. I've resolved to go home early to enjoy my afternoon tea with my grandma and sister, and for the evening chat with my grandpa. Doing this has so much more value than just being outside shopping and spending hard-earned cash.

People around me have chided me for spending too much time in hall. My dear friends back in KL and Penang keep reminding me on how I only go home to Penang once a year and only for a week or two. My sister wonders if I ever study because I'm constantly playing volleyball or buiding the hall float or doing some rubbish in hall. I think, because 2 years have passed, it's time to rethink my priority. Time to move on. Set my priorities straight. The problem with me is I'm afraid of leaving my comfort zone. Therefore, I think I should keep changing my environment so that I will always be ready for changes.

Speaking of changes, the once lush jungle behind my house has been partially cleared to make way for a park and an apartment. (A slight digression) Soon, a part of the Penang Outer Ring Road will cut right through behind my house. I weep for the jungle's demise. i weep for the snakes that used to seek refuge in my house. i weep for the monkeys that once banged on my glass door and stole starfruits from the tree. I weep for the jungle fowl that oftenly strayed in my garden. I weep for the frogs that laid eggs in the drain behind, and for the waterfall nearby whose source is drying up. I weep for the ferns and trees that made my house so cool in the morning that my friends used to freeze when they come over early in the morn. The stupid town council is so terribly corrupted that they allow more apartments to be built in the name of development. Hogwash! I feel so helpless that I'm just a small fry who can only stand and watch the beauty of Penang going down the drain. Sooner of later, it's going to be like a mini version of Singapore, with flatten hills and concrete jungle. I wish there was something that I could do to stop it all...

Albeit I didn't accomplish much this holiday (like work, travel far,pick up a hobby), I think this was the best one I've had- spending quality time with my family. Just being at home, watching them return from work, have dinner, chat after dinner, sit down in front of the tv together, go out shopping together, wash the car, do a little gardening, buying yummy durians and prying them open at home, marketing, going out for dinner for that special hawker food, shopping at the Batu Ferringhi roadside market and having tea-time together; all these may sound simple and a pure waste of time, but I thought it was the best I've ever had. Had lots of time to read 2 newspapers, watch anime, watch tv, yacking with people who share similar views on society and the government, exchanging information with each other on our respective fields ( in my family, there's no one with the similar jobs), simply just catching up with each other. It feels so nostalgic, so good.

I realize that during my first week home, I was rushing around, getting worked up about small things. However, as time passed by, I learned to relax, slow down a bit. To savour life and be thankful for the day. I wonder if I'm able to be so relaxed here. I've been so preoccupied by school and hall that I forgot to live. Is this a reversible disorder? Maybe it could only happen in Malaysia. Haha.

Balik kampung~ lalalala balik kampung!

2 comments:

whatsthatfluffinmyhead said...

mien dee do bah.. hello... do u realise that white words with black background makes a person see lines when he/she reads ur blog?? hahaha... :P i'm in melb now... got u a little something... hahah...

lostsheep said...

reallllllly???? hmm... I didn't know that. i want to revamp my site but have yet to figure out how. Hehehe.

Eeee!!! I'm curious! I have a little something for you toooooo from Langkawi!!!