Monday, July 18, 2005

What's in it for the News?







I was reading The Star Online newspaper ( Malaysian paper lah) and realized that the 'most viewed news' section always contain news about rapes, sex, bombings, murder or something really twisted and large in scale. Why is it that news about poverty, basic welfare for everyone, and charitable issues never make it into the most viewed section? Partly it's because of my fault for not clicking on that news over and over and over again many times so that it'll be in the statistics, but how about the rest of the people?

People generally just crave for something juicy. They think they've got the whole picture when in fact, they're missing out the small pieces that make the big picture right. Because we're always rushing for time, we only scan the headlines and read those that catches our eye.

It's sad that it happens, but I think even I know more about Britney Spears and her bulging stomach than I do about the poor in Malaysia or the region. Blame it on the papers? But if they focus too much on those issues, their papers won't sell, right? How now?

No comments: