an article from the star on sunday, about an american magazine editor who travels to asia to sample and write about the food in that region. to quote from it :
"Oseland’s travels to the three countries started with a visit to Indonesia more than 20 years ago. That’s when he was introduced to Indonesian cooking. His passion grew to include the food of Malaysia and Singapore.
Choose one
Which is his favourite of the three countries?
“All three, frankly, because I do really see them as a continuous flow. In my personal experience, the cuisines of these three countries are so inter-linked, so inter-changeable, it’s almost like having to pick your favourite child. I mean, I do have things that I’m partial to in all places. In Malaysia, particularly, I am a huge Penang fan.
“I think it’s like THE best food place in South-East Asia. Everybody goes on about Bangkok, or even Hong Kong (technically it’s a part of South-East Asia) and certainly Singapore but from my experience, Penang is, hands down, the most extraordinary place to experience food in South-East Asia, if not the world.
“Each time I go there it just blows my mind – the breadth and scope of food that is available,” says Oseland.
I'm amazed by his reaction to the food there for he simply recognises its value. How proud are Penangites of their food? Insanely proud. And we don't strive to promote as ' uniquely penang'. People simply come by word of mouth. Oh, and we don't need television programmes to tell you which stall is good for eating. We don't need ratings for stalls nor any media company's approval. We are not a commodity society. Culture runs deep. Chingay began in penang, and has always been a flag bearing procession, up till now. It is celebrated as part of the lunar new year. We don't have ostentatious display of floats and dances and all sorts just to add another event to the calender nor to showcase the multicultural society. Materialistic goods are secondary. I daresay penang people are very simple people. They just love their food, sea and sun.
Each time I go home, it takes my breath away too. I'm sure other Penangites daren't disagree.
Monday, February 05, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment