Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Lately, I seem to have lost my inquisitive nature and my mind seem to have been dulled and overloaded from the constant action of reading very weighted articles.

So today, I decided to do something crazy. It all started from my irritation with the SAM machine yesterday when I couldn't purchase a 26c stamp (meant for local postage). If I was not wrong, the coin slot was jammed. Furthermore, to purchase by NETS, you would need to buy above $2 worth of postage. So I proceeded to the next SAM machine. And then it hit me. How on earth do I pay for 26c at the SAM machine, when the darn machine only accepts 5c, 10c, 20c and 50c? Would it give me a discount of 1c or would it cheat me of 4c? Lady luck was not with me when the next SAM machine didn't have a coin slot. Hence, I thought I would try it at the post office the next day.

I wanted to challenge the PO. At the PO, I asked the lady if I could purchase just 1 26c stamp. And she said yes. I was perplexed and ask her how would she charge it. She said, 'You can give me 30c and I'll give you back 4c change'. 4c change??? Wait, hasn't Singapore discontinued its 1c coins? She replied, 'They have stopped minting it, but we have 1c coins as change'. Eh??? What would I do with the 1c coins then? Beaten by the system and sore that I cannot purchase just 1 26c local stamp, I opted to purchase 5. Beaten because they have the 1c as small change, whereas I, would have to safekeep them for use only when I buy stamps. Almost all other transactions are rounded up/down when paid by cash, ie. groceries, food, transportation..

Darn them bloodsuckers. Why don't they just change the value of the stamp to 25c?

No comments: