Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Paying the price for living

I seriously still do not understand the concept of living here in Singapore. Perhaps to a local, as in any other countries, home always provides a sense of familiarity and comfort. But to the stranger, the passer by, the unwarned foreigner, how does adaptability to a foreign environment eases one's transition and assimilation? Does it perhaps mean a greater assimilation into the local scene and people? Speaking local language and marrying the locals? Does it mean having to be part of the society in order to feel a sense of place?

Where is it possible, elsewhere to not do any of the following but yet earn equal rights, equal freedom and less discrimination? Of course, there is no such thing as an egalitarian society, but there are some that are near there(UK?). That place allows one to live comfortably but yet keeping his of her own individuality. The diversity factor is considered a plus point and hence welcomed.

The place I am in now, does not appreciate diversity factor. It attempts to homogenize or sterilize conditions. It does not seek to tap on creative juices, but rather to copy or to import. The ultimate goal, after all, is to increase the production line. To make sure there are people standing in line to handle the machines, manufacture for the masses.

Sad to say, majority of my friends here are foreigners, people who are stuck in the same phase and place. Thais, Indonesians, Malaysians, Filipino, Mainland Chinese are people whom I am closest with. Here's why they make better people than 'who else', because they, like me, are caught in between. None of them, has ever called me a 'Malai' ( indirectly a racist remark) nor has made fun of my country (not that I really care, but it can get on my nerves if repeated too often, but more often than not, at the back of my head, I wonder what education system produces such imbeciles). None of them, ever talk loads about branded items (not to say they're not interested in it),nor speak as if their life is centered around false pretenses ( like the boring NS stories I've heard over and over and over and over and over again, although I did get an interesting input from a friend in UK about the social engineering bit). People like them, speak about real situations in their countries, political situations, poverty, social issues and economic corruption.

Maybe people here speak a lot about corruption in charity but that's like an ant bite compared to the problems faced elsewhere. Maybe they talk about shifting political boundaries, but that's like a piece of ice that has broke off compared to the melting glaciers at the poles.

Probably I am really frustrated now about rental and property prices. Vampires playing up the market and sucking the blood of others. I wonder how long more of this can I take. How long more before it makes me snap. I think for most of us here, the situation is liken to being an abused dog on a leash. You want your freedom, but you're tied down. What's more, instead of reaping the benefits of hard work, you're beaten till your bare skin shows.

No wonder my econs tutor once said to my class that impression management is the most important of all fields of management. The art of creating an illusion to deceive and to conjure, does no necessarily mean it's best. It's always the art of packaging, but of course these things comes with a price, of which only the wealthy can pay. While the rest of the region is busy battling basic survival, political stability and social happiness, here, people are damming up a river so that it can be turned into a fresh water contained area. Not good enough? How about giving benefits to the citizens a few months before a general election? Even the antagonists are enticed by the carrot on the stick. Some will just brush it off, saying it's a way of gaining votes, bad-mouthing in front of others, but hypocritically enjoying the benefits that are sitting in the bank account.
Some people will say,'why so stupid? got free money take lah!'. Oh yes, simple-minded and the best kind of citizens indeed.

Give me a reason to stay. I have not found any good enough. Or like most locals would say, you're taking up my breathing space. Of course, I need to argue that some locals have shown great hospitability over the years , but only a small minority and they're usually my God-loving friends. Allow me to sidetrack, but am I wrong to say that the most disadvantaged have the most fighting spirit? Fighting spirit does not equate to materialistic goals and ambition, but to have a purpose in life, a greater one than just living alone.

So how will it end? I don't know, but I seriously wish for my own Utopia soon.

p/s: I'm sorry if you do not share my views or if this has caused harm in any way, but it is purely and solely my opinion. Past experiences have shown that some people have low-tolerance for my opinions (again,them a product of the system) but I am fine with that, so long as you don't ask for it nor take it to heart. If you do appear to have been slighted by it, whining about it would do you no good because everyone is free to form opinions.

No comments: