Sunday, May 28, 2006

#1 Keep it under your hat

I recently discovered this book titled 'The Rules of Life' by Richard Templar while browsing at a bookshop. On the surface, one may think that it is another Dummies' Guide. Well, yeah, you pick up the book, flip through it and think, 'duh, we all know this, so this guy is just making money by stating the obvious facts that we have learnt from home, school and church even'. Well, it is sort of along that line, but it's an enjoyable read. To be optimistic, I think it's a really good reminder to us all on how to live peacefully and optimistically. It reminds us when we should keep some thoughts to ourselves and learning to be a bit more patient could save your ass many times over. I didn't buy the book, but stood a good 15 minutes browsing through it, picking up familiar pointers and certain scenarios that seemed familiar.

Sometimes we regret the things we say, but the damage is done. Sometimes, we wished we had been a bit more patient, or maybe even not blurt out a negative remark. Sometimes we wish we could handle stress better and try to have a more positive outlook to life. Sometimes we know that words of comfort, are just empty words that we rather hear more than the harsh truth of reality itself. But of course, some are meant well, true and sincere.

Well, he has a few other books, one of them is The Rules of Work. I browsed through that too and it's pretty addictive. I found some stuff pretty applicable in the working world.

I won't consider myself a full time committed working adult, but more like a person, sampling an appetizer dish before the main one comes next. The appetizer is simpler, more fun, a side dish that's inexpensive and unadorned. I think when the main meal is served, there's more time, effort and sweat needed to compose it, hence the higher price to it.

As weird as the analogy may sound, I realize I've still a lot to learn and I can only be glad for the Lord has His plans for me, not to harm me, but for me to prosper, in my own way. I pray He brings strength to those who are currently in times of trial now... cos I think almost half failed R.I.B.A if I counted correctly 0_x'''

No comments: