Thursday, March 29, 2007

book-fetish

I had an urge to spend today. One was because of a birthday treat. The other was just simply irresistable and ... *ahem*, worth spending on. The one that was worth spending on is shown in the picture below. The bottom four books, starting from British Paintings in the Golden Age, Joseph Conrad's 'The Eastern Stories', 'Paradiso' by Dante (ok, I admit I don't really know how well I'll understand the book, but it's worth a try) and lastly, Kafka's collection of short stories!! I was simply delighted when I saw these books on sale in the school co-op, especially the Kafka one. Anyway, all the books were priced at $3 except for the Kafka one which was $10, because it's hardcover. I nearly bought more books, but due to my heavy spending for the day, I was broke. Anyway, I'm somehow attracted to books written by mad geniuses these days. I seem to value their gloomy/utopian/idealistic/romantic/morbid take on life and situations around us. Even the book I am going to review is written by a guy who ended up comitting suicide. Brr... I spoke to a tutor about it and his advice to me was to not take them too seriously!!! Haha.
Anyway, anyone wants to borrow my new books ? :P
Here's a shot of the books occupying another slot in my shelf. These are the books I have to read for dissertation. Minus the blue one which is purely for my own pleasure, and minus the little green one which is my first Archigram book which I bought for only $12 (after finding out from AL that she bought hers for $30 2 years back)! I so had the urge to buy another from amazon.uk, but my mind no longer works in pounds, so after conversion PLUS postage, it's just too expensive. I think books from the US are still cheaper. I'm a typical Penangite, needing to get good value at low cost, in other words, 'kiamsiap'(stingy in hokkien dialect). likewise, I believe in paying a lot for books only when it's good material and worth paying for, only then will I part with my cash. Otherwise, photocopy-lah.... Haha.

Ok. Enough of advertising my books. Anyone wants to help me read? I've got till 18th of April before I submit my book reviews!

5 comments:

ZJ said...

kafka as in frank kafka?

lostsheep said...

yupz. did you study kafka in your english course?

lostsheep said...

if you're interested, i can buy you the franz kafka book. after all, it's only rm20 after conversion. hurhur.

i'll be back for the hols!!! see you in may, june and july! can't wait for my long stay at home

ZJ said...

came across one of his writings in my course text. cant remember what was the story about. something like morphing into some giant insect. yuck...

cool... but i'll be in kl la dear. reckon you'll be in pg most of the time also rite?

lostsheep said...

yeah, that's metamorphorsis. hyuk hyuk. i heard the radio play in uk.

i'll be at both places la. need to go to pj often to see my grandpa also. haven't been spending enough time with him nor with my sister